Share this on
Tom Dwan Continues to Avoid "Durrrr Challenge"

Former Full Tilt Professional Tom “durrrr” Dwan has repeatedly avoided the attempts made by Dan “Jungleman” Cates to continue the “Durrrr Challenge” that the two heads-up combatants began prior to Black Friday.

So said Cates when asked by PokerListings whether the pair will ever resume the match that finds Cates holding a big lead and in line for a payday of $1.5 million while risking only $500K. That’s in addition to any cash won on the virtual felt, which at last count shows Jungleman $1.25 million to the good.

:The latest with durrrr is that he is being totally uncooperative,” Cates said. “We have played zero hands in 2014 and only 2,500 of the 62k hands Tom played in 2013 were from the challenge.”;

 

 

 

 

 

Penalties adding up!

Apparently, communication between the two is non-existent, with Dwan failing to return calls and texts made by Cates. This despite the fact that financial penalties that the pair previously agreed to in order to prompt a conclusion to the contest are adding up against Dwan.

Every two months of inactivity in the challenge calls for $40,000 more to be added to the pockets of Jungleman. And another penalty of $10,000 was tacked onto that. By his count, Cates is owed $300,000 in penalties alone, but collecting seems another matter entirely.

He (Dwan) failed to uphold any promises he made to me,” Cates said. “He’s extremely frustrating. It’s outrageous.”

A number of other players have money riding on the outcome, so it isn’t only Cates who would like to see the Durrrr Challenge resume. Bets were made on the match before the first hand was dealt and have been in limbo ever since. There are some who believe that Dwan’s standing as a respected poker pro has taken a beating due to his apathy toward the contest and other reasons.

The last time the Durrrr Challenge was resurrected was last October, when Cates solidified his lead by almost a quarter of a million dollars. A total of 50,000 hands need to be played before the contest can be called complete. Roughly 60% of the heads-up match remains.

 

 

Related Articles

Charles Rettmuller

Charles has been an avid poker player for a number of years, both live and online. He holds a degree in journalism and previously worked as a reporter for a Chicago-based newspaper. Charles joined the PokerUpdate team in early 2012 and writes daily news articles for the site.

[fbcomments]