After a very successful inaugural American Poker Awards in 2015, the Global Poker Index (GPI) announced a second edition. The 2nd Annual American Poker Awards are scheduled for Thursday, February 25, 2016, and will be held at the SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills, California.
This information had already been released, but the nominees for each of the award categories remained a secret to most of the poker community (with the exception of voters) until now. Without further ado, the categories and final list of nominees are as follows:
Tournament Performance of the Year
- Jonathan Duhamel, WSOP One Drop High Roller
- Mike Gorodinsky, WSOP Poker Players Championship
- Joseph McKeehen, WSOP Main Event
- Anthony Zinno, WPT L.A. Poker Classic
Moment of the Year:
- Anthony Zinno wins back-to-back WPT titles at Fallsview & L.A. Poker Classic.
- More than 22,000 players enter WSOP Colossus tournament.
- Phil Hellmuth wins 14th bracelet in WSOP $10K Razz Championship event.
- Daniel Negreanu busts in 11th place at WSOP Main Event.
Breakout Performance of the Year:
- Joshua Beckley
- Asher Conniff
- Cate Hall
- Kelly Minkin
Event of the Year (Buy-ins up to $2,000):
- WSOP Colossus at Rio in Las Vegas
- WPT500 at ARIA in Las Vegas
- WSOP Millionaire Maker at Rio in Las Vegas
- WPTDeepStacks Championship at Grey Eagle in Calgary
Event of the Year (Buy-ins over $2,000):
- Super High Roller Bowl at ARIA in Las Vegas
- WSOP Main Event at Rio in Las Vegas
- WSOP One Drop High Roller at Rio in Las Vegas
- WPT Seminole Hard Rock Poker Showdown at Hard Rock in Hollywood, FL
Industry Person of the Year:
- Jack Effel, WSOP Vice President and Tournament Director
- William Mason, Seminole Hard Rock Director of Poker
- John Pappas, Poker Players Alliance Executive Director
- Matt Savage, TDA Founder and WPT Executive Director
Charitable Initiative of the Year:
- Chad Brown Memorial Tournament (Maria Ho, Vanessa Rousso)
- Charity Series of Poker (Matthew Stout)
- Tiger’s Poker Night (Tiger Woods, WPT Foundation)
- WSOP One Drop High Roller and Little One for One Drop
Media Person of the Year:
- Joey Ingram
- Kevin Mathers
- Donnie Peters
- Jason Somerville
Poker Presenter of the Year:
- Sarah Herring
- Kara Scott
- Joseph Stapleton
- David Tuchman
Poker Innovation or Initiative of the Year:
- Poker Central launches 24/7 television network.
- SHRPO and PNIA livestream four final tables simultaneously.
- WSOP adds online bracelet event with live final table.
- WSOP introduces Colossus tournament.
Media Content of the Year:
- BUST, An Insider’s Account of Greenville’s Underground Poker Scene (Brad Willis)
- CNN Money video: Faraz Jaka, Homeless Poker Millionaire (Jaka, Gayles, Carson)
- Twitch broadcast by Jason Somerville during September 2015 WCOOP (Somerville)
- Photo of Negreanu crumbled on floor after WSOP Main Event elimination (Joe Giron)
Two players will be honored at the APA, as Byron Kaverman will be awarded the 2015 GPI Player of the Year, and Kelly Minkin will receive a trophy as the 2015 GPI Female Player of the Year. The GPI leaderboard for 2015 determined these honorees.
What to Expect
The purpose of the American Poker Awards is to showcase the poker players and leaders in the North American poker industry. The elegant evening in Los Angeles will honor the winners and nominees while celebrating poker in North America.
A select group of more than 80 members of the poker community, including industry executives, poker players, and members of the media, submitted ballots to create the list of aforementioned nominees. On the day before the APA, an independent voting jury will meet to select the winners in each category.
On the morning of February 25, the American Poker Conference will take place at the SLS Hotel from 8:30am to 12:30pm. The topics are scheduled to include eSports, poker media, and women in poker. From 2:00pm to 5:00pm that afternoon, the Global Poker League draft will take place to fill the 12 franchise teams that were announced last week.
Starting at 7:30pm that night, the GPI American Poker Awards ceremony and dinner will take place and run for several hours, hosted by Kara Scott for the second year. The evening’s celebration and honors will be broadcast live on the GPL Twitch.tv channel.
Seats are reportedly still available, with information available on the American Poker Awards website.